Thursday, February 19, 2009

Why I Like my Job (!)

It's a tough time for jobs right now. Those who don't have them, can't get them, and those who have them, don't want them. With recent downsizing in my company, I have done my fair share of complaining about what kind of job I'm in, the fact that I am doing the work of two people now and also the lack of compensation for it all. But in light of the fact I may be returning to grad school in the fall, I've decided to look on the things I enjoy about work (at least, I enjoy them enough to get me through the next 5-6 months...):

10. Making money.


Yes, I am that shallow. I admit, I feel a little embarrassed that this even makes the top ten list, but it truly is one of the best feelings I get on a bi-weekly basis when I check my bank account online and my wallet just got a little fatter. I like paying for my own car and every expense I have. This is not to say that I'm not still receiving charity in one way or another from the 'rents, but I'm still basically responsible for myself.

9.Saving money.

Sure, spending it is fun, but I've never had the experience of a savings account growing at so quickly a rate.The first thing I do on a pay-day morning is sign into that online banking and move a significant portion of that check into my savings. It fun to think about what it will go towards and what I will use it for. Maybe it will one day pay for my grad school bills, or it might be the down payment on a house. Perhaps it will allow me to take that dream va-cay someday. Or it could be there for a rainy day. Whatever it is, it's my choice, and I like having it.

8. Working on work only between the hours of 8am and 5pm.

Even though I often call my job mundane and unimportant, it's really nice to be able to spend my free time doing anything I want to do. I never do work outside of the office, in fact, I'm actually not supposed to. Since my pay is technically hourly, they would have to pay me for it, and let's just say they are none too happy about it when it happens.

7. Hourly pay.

Yes, the idea of a salaried job is really nice, since usually those pay more. But the fact is, I get the same benefits as any of the salaried workers at my work place (health and dental insurance, paid time off, etc), but if I work more than 40 hours a week, I'm getting paid time and a half for it. That would not necessarily be the case (and usually isn't) for a salaried position.

6. Greeting people.

I'm the first face they see when they walk into the office, and I like being friendly and helping people out. My boss told me a few weeks ago that she has only heard good things about my attitude with people coming in from the outside, so that's cool.

5. Helping out my fellow associates with their small requests.

It is really satisfying when I get an urgent request for something small, I get it done in like 5 or 10 minutes, and my coworker is just about ecstatic that I got it done so quick and I helped them out so much. Who new that making a binder spine or putting together a binder or editing a copy of some document could be so rewarding?

4. Doing tasks that I can check off of a list.

I like having the type of job that entails many projects that have a start, a middle, and a finish. I like the feeling of getting something done and just being done with it, period.

3. Sitting in front of a computer.


My eyes probably hate me for saying this, but I like that I am able to check my e-mail, read some articles, talk on facebook for a bit, and even watch some tv programs to relax and stay connected during the day. I'm able to keep up so well with some friends solely because of this aspect of my job.

2. The relaxed atmosphere.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely enjoy dressing up and making myself look pretty. But I think the job I'm currently in is a nice transition for the recent college graduate who is used to rolling out of bed, and running to class. I don't have to drive far, so I don't have to wake up super early to look nice. But the kind of place it is don't make me feel the need to get up extra early just to straighten my hair and iron my suit. I like being able to wear my jeans. Usually more than once a week.

1. The experience.

It's got it's highs and it's lows, but working life is a good place to be when you're finally ready for that real world experience. I am sure that my time in this job will not soon be forgotten, if ever. The people and experiences here will always be the memory of my first full time job, and, barring getting laid off or run out of there on a rail, I will look back on it fondly.

So there you have it; my favorite aspects of my job. I thought about making a companion list of things I dislike about my job, but I figured that would just make me depressed. Also, I don't think I could confine that list to just ten spots...but really, I like working. And now I have somewhere I can look to when I'm having trouble focusing or am getting really stressed out from my work. :)

No comments: