Monday, February 16, 2009

Rite of Passage Through the Black Box

I've never been a tv watcher until this year. It's kind of sad, really; but at the same time, it's almost an inevitable Rite of Passage into adulthood. Of the shows I watch, there are only two that I don't feel any remorse or shame in spending my time on them. Otherwise, it's all pretty much not worth my time. These are the thoughts that I have on the matter:

Family Guy. What a pointless show. I disagree vehemently with the writers of the show and the spirit it encompasses. Family Guy is the sort of programming that both plays off of our corroded culture, as well as continues the lack of goodness in it. There is nothing about this show that would make one a better person. It is solely about cheap laughs and pushing an agenda that I don't agree with in any way.
That said, I watch the show whenever I get the chance. Especially to pass the time at work.

American Dad. Um, edit and insert everything above about Family Guy. It's basically the same show anyway.

House. I hated doctor shows (except for Scrubs, but that's for the comedy, not the doctor aspect) until this one. I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that I am in a serious relationship with a future doc, but I find the characters absolutely fascinating. Fascinating enough to endure a few minutes of blood and guts and surgery an episode to get through it. Which makes me think that our culture allows desensitizing ourselves at far to great a rate. I wonder how much farther this can go? Looking at the great civilizations of old, the Greeks and Romans, the Mayas and Aztecs, the Egyptians. How many times have we studied these civilizations being taught how advanced and wonderful they all were. But they all declined and eventually were destroyed. I believe that this destruction was due to the desensitizing of culture--whether it was sex or blood and guts, they did not hold those certain things sacred anymore. This is not to say that the work of doctors shouldn't be seen, but I think that it can be used as a sort of "gateway" to desensitize the masses. Doesn't stop me though.

Shows that I think are worth my time:

The Office. I never even watched this show until I started working in one. It's perfect. Definitely captures to small-scale struggles of working in an office. It particularly resonates with me since I do have a hard time justifying why I am in an office right now. At least it gives comic relief to the sad reality of my life.

What Not to Wear. Applicable to all people, at all times, in all stages of life. There's nothing like learning to dress your body for maximum effect and self-image. Love it.

I could write about more (Gossip Girl, One Tree Hill, the occasional Rock of Love or Real World or something), but I don't care enough.

No comments: