Thursday, April 02, 2009

Good News for Sarah

Happiness came in the form of a sunny day to me. Spring in Minnesota certainly has its ups and downs weather-wise, but it seemed to me that today's beautiful, sunny day brings with it a new outlook on the opportunities before me.

I have been informed this week by the University of St. Thomas (located here in the Twin Cities) that I have been accepted to the Master of Arts in Catholic Studies program. They have also offered me a partial scholarship to help with my tuition costs.

At first, the scholarship information was a blow to me. I was really hoping to get one of the very competitive Fellowship spots in the MA program. I was told that I was the runner-up for the scholarship, and until the deadline for acceptance, one of the individuals who was offered the Fellowship had not responded. The individual responded on the last day. It was also sad to hear that until this year they gave three Fellowships, but because of a need to cut costs at the school, they would only award two for this year. I was the third.

Once I let it sink in that the opportunity was no longer available to me, I started to think about the alternatives and I think I have a few options which are encouraging to me. I also believe that when I apply to FAFSA I have a good chance of getting some good loans since I no longer claim myself as a dependent legally.

Bottom line: I'm going back to school and I am excited about it, regardless of the cost to me! I can make it happen if its what I really want. Knowing my reaction to all this information, I am truly invested in this and I am willing to make some changes in my concept of what going for my masters means if that's what it takes. I am just excited to be getting myself in a direction that will be time well spent and moving towards a life of fulfilling work.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you are feeling sunny about this, dear. :)