Monday, April 13, 2009

Americanism v. Catholicism

I have to admit, the more I talk about, and even think about, Obama speaking at Notre Dame, the more sick of it I get. It reminds me of the election season and the constant going back and forth with people both getting the point of view out there and then defending it. But somehow, I can't stay away because of my unquenchable desire to discover and speak the truth. The Catholic Church and her teachings and tradition are increasingly under attack (just pick up a newspaper from anytime January 2009 until now and you'll see what I mean), and I'm young and stupid enough to try to defend Her.


I've come across the question of "Americanism" in opposition to Catholicism. Are these sentiments mutually exclusive? My initial reaction is no, certainly not. The American ideal of opportunity and freedom are right in line with what it means to be a Catholic, and I am sure that it is the reason by Catholic immigrants came to this country in droves during the late 19th and early 20th century. From that point, Catholic Americans have struggled to be considered part of the mainstream of culture.


This is what the problem is: we are getting to the point that because of what our American culture holds dear we are asked to change our values, or at the very least stay silent on them. It has become incompatable to be an assimilated member of the American population and hold such counter-cultural ideals as the Catholic faith demands. Not least among these, is the fight against abortion and being pro-life. I certainly don't believe that being pro-life is contrary to being American, but it cannot be denied that it is counter-cultural to be pro-life in every situation and for every reason. In this way, I believe that my Catholic faith trumps my "Americanness" because the faith transcends what is stamped on my passport and what one country believes is the best way of governing. I do not think that one cannot be American and Catholic at the same time, even a proud and patriotic American. This is the great strength of America, that democracy, freedom, and especially religious freedom exist. I pray that they are ALWAYS defended, and that the compromises that are being tolerated against Catholics especially are no longer.



No comments: