Thursday, June 11, 2009

LEAVE SARAH ALONE! (not me)

*Check this out or the video to the right and then read to figure out the title.

Really, David Letterman? Calling Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin and slut and joking about her daughter being "knocked up" by A-Rod (whether it was the 18 year-old or the 14 year-old--it's no difference really)? You thought that would go over well? Not to mention your short-of-remorseful apology:

"We were, as we often do, making jokes about people in the news and we made some jokes about Sarah Palin and her daughter, the 18-year-old girl, who is — her name is Bristol, that’s right, and so, then, now they’re upset with me. These are not jokes made about her 14-year-old daughter. I would never, never make jokes about raping or having sex of any description with a 14-year-old girl. I mean, look at my record. It has never happened. I don’t think it’s funny. I would never think it was funny. I wouldn’t put it in a joke… Gov. Palin, if you’re watching, I would like you to consider coming to New York City — even Todd — as my guests, or leave Todd at home. I’d love to have you on the show. It’d be exciting. All right, so there, I hope I’ve cleared part of this up. Am I guilty of poor taste? Yes. Did I suggest that it was okay for her 14-year-old daughter to be having promiscuous sex? No."

This is just another example of the sort of cheap-shots and hateful language that is used towards Gov. Palin still as it was used during the election season. The thing is, liberals hate her, just as vehemently as ever, because she is the representation of everything they reject. Sarah Palin is a strong, career driven woman, who will not sacrifice her principles, and especially her family, for it. She infuses her politics with the belief that every person, no matter their state in life, has innate dignity because they are a human being. Letterman said she had the style of a "slutty flight attendant" while she was accepting an award for the work she has done for children with Downs Syndrome. That's beyond poor taste, that's just words of hate, trying to tear her down for personal elevation. It's the same sort of mentality that was going on during the election season when we were getting articles and broadcast commentators giving opinion after opinion over THE COST OF HER WARDROBE. I mean, come on. That's the sort of stuff that liberals have always accused the general public of from keeping women out of office and out of the white house. Suddenly, the tables turned. They didn't know what to do. So they attacked the clothes she was put in and her family life. And they're still criticising even now. How classy.

So from the "slutty flight attendant," Letterman got this response:

"Acceptance of inappropriate sexual comments about an underage girl, who could be anyone's daughter, contributes to the atrociously high rate of sexual exploitation of minors by older men who use and abuse others."

Palin also noted that she seriously doubted he would "ever dare" make such comments about anyone elses daughter--which I whole-hearted agree with. I can't wait until President Obama brings his family to watch while he throws out the first pitch at a Yankee's game... is Letterman going to give Sasha and Malia the same respect he did to Palin's daughters?

I don't want to be over-dramatic a la Chris Crocker, but it's really too much, people. How is it in the best interest of our nation when it becomes common place and even considered comical to call a state official, a governor, a former vice-presidential nominee a slut? It's one thing if you have honest and serious critiques of her policy, but enough with the low blows. Just leave her alone! I mean it!

No comments: